Run DMT

I'm a mom on the run!

Run DMT - I'm a mom on the run!

Roasted Veggies

I’ve shared my roasted veggies before, but I’ve never shared them like this.

Roasted Veggies

I began making these veggies about fifteen years ago when I was a vegetarian and I still enjoy these veggies as a main dish, served on a bed couscous or sandwiched between crunchy Cuban bread with a shmear of goat cheese.

Although there are so many variations to how you can do this dish, I stick with the simple squash varieties that my family likes.  For additional greens, toss in some asparagus tips or add some sliced fennel for a more complex, rich fall flavor.

No matter what you toss in, these roasted veggies are a wonderful side dish for Thanksgiving and the leftovers make the best veggie omelets.

Roasted Veggies

Roasted Veggies
Ingredients
Juice of one lemon
¼ cup olive oil
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
4 garlic cloves minced
½ red onion, chopped
1 pint white or Baby Bella mushrooms
1 eggplant
2 zucchini
2 yellow squash

Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In a large bowl, whisk the lemon juice, olive, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
Cut the eggplant lengthwise twice to quarter the eggplant.  Then, slice the eggplant into 2-inch chunks.  Toss into bowl with lemon juice marinade.

Slice the zucchini and yellow squash into 1-inch slices and toss in bowl.

Add chopped onions and mushrooms to bowl.  (Depending on the size of the mushrooms, cut into halves or leave whole.)  Toss all veggies until well covered in lemon juice marinade.

Prepare a baking sheet with cooking spray.  Arrange veggies evenly on baking sheet.  Bake for about 20-30 minutes.  For more charred veggies, bake longer or broil veggies for one minute.

Thanks for joining our weekly Friday Food Fight! Can’t wait to see what everyone is flinging this week! Remember to visit our Thanksgiving food blog hop too!

Roasted Veggies

HorrorFFF 1 Roasted Veggies

Roasted Veggies

*Also submitted at*

finer things friday Roasted Veggies171206 Roasted Veggiesfriday food150 Roasted VeggiesFoodie Friday Roasted VeggiesFoodiefridaylogo Roasted Veggies

5m4food banner4 Roasted Veggies

Denise Mestanza-Taylor+

Roasted Veggies

Living life as a mom on the run between races and raising three beautiful, brilliant children (ages 11, 7, 2). Before a blissful life as a SAHM, I taught elementary school for 7 years. In 2007, I discovered a passion for running. I'm currently training for a fourth marathon as well as a variety of other races and triathlons. In my spare time, I am the lead organizer for the Tampa Bay Bloggers on Facebook. I'm currently training for two marathons as well as a variety of other races and triathlons. From start to finish, I'm a mom on the run trying maintain an easy pace through it all.

twitter Roasted Veggiesfacebook Roasted Veggieslinkedin Roasted Veggiespinterest Roasted Veggiesyoutube Roasted Veggiesyelp Roasted Veggies

• LizForADay says:

I love roasted vegetables, however I have never tried it with lemon juice. I will have to give it a try. Why did you switch from vegetarian? Thanks for the recipe. :)

16 November, 2012 at 5:39 am
    • Run DMT says:

I was a vegetarian until I became pregnant with my first daughter. Then, I craved red meat. The bloodier, the better! Eleven years later, I find it’s hard to be that disciplined again. Besides, I really like chicken and occasionally a steak. And you know what? That’s ok. I truly respect people who make a commitment to go meatless, but for me, I’ve found that a really good steak is like eating a piece of cake. You don’t eat it all the time, but when you do, it’s delicious and you enjoy every bite. Life is too short. Go hog wild! (That’s if you like pork!) :-D

16 November, 2012 at 5:56 am
      • LizForADay says:

LOL, I agree. I don’t judge people by what they eat. I was just being nosey. :)

16 November, 2012 at 6:00 am
        • Run DMT says:

No problem! Ask away! I’m an open book. :-)

16 November, 2012 at 6:02 am
  • Pam says:

I also make roasted vegetables quite frequently. I love your idea of adding fennel and now I will use my leftovers for a sandwich!

16 November, 2012 at 7:28 am
    • Run DMT says:

It’s the best way to eat those yummy leftovers! Thanks for stopping by!

16 November, 2012 at 7:36 am
  • beka says:

Yum! I love eggplant and mushrooms!! I usually roast them with very few added spices, but this sounds delicious lemon+thyme is a great combo!

16 November, 2012 at 7:51 am
  • Caroline Calcote says:

I love roasted veggies too. When I was doing NutriSystem a few years ago, I had roasted squash/zuchini/peppers/onions several times a week! They are my favorite and I still make them quite often.

16 November, 2012 at 8:18 am
  • Kat says:

I roast veggies every Sunday before the start of the week!

16 November, 2012 at 9:58 am
  • Beth says:

YUM! The lemon is a great idea. I’ve never thought of that. I bet they taste divine.

16 November, 2012 at 10:10 am
    • Run DMT says:

They are seriously so good.

16 November, 2012 at 5:56 pm
  • Michelle says:

I was thinking I might roast vegetables for Thanksgiving. I’ll have to toss in some eggplant too. Thanks for the idea and the party!

16 November, 2012 at 11:27 am
    • Run DMT says:

Hope you enjoy the veggies! Let me know what you think. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! xox

16 November, 2012 at 5:56 pm
  • Diane Balch (@DianeBalch) says:

I was thinking the same thing as Michelle… yes thanks for sharing your roasted veggies will be nice for Thanksgiving.

16 November, 2012 at 1:55 pm
    • Run DMT says:

Awesome! Let me know what you think of the veggies!

16 November, 2012 at 5:54 pm
  • Meikah Ybanez-Delid says:

Looks delish! Will definitely try this out! :)

17 November, 2012 at 4:36 am
  • Dana Francis says:

This is the best way to stay fit at the same time monitor my food intake! It’s a healthy year for me, say no more to fats! Awesome recipe! Try this ingredient as well, quinoa! Very filling, less carbs and high in protein!

22 January, 2013 at 6:59 am