Since giving up carbs and bad starches, I’m finding it really difficult to feel full and satisfied. With trying to limit my carb in take, I’m trying to eat more vegetables to curb my carb craving. By doing so, Iron Chef Allan and I are becoming increasing more creative with veggie side dishes.
One day, Iron Chef Allan had a strange carving more roasted grilled red peppers
which is probably a sign that he needs more beta carotene or lycopene in his diet but he’ll have to learn that on his own rather his wife nagging him to eat more veggies. Although roasted peppers on the grill are amazing, I wanted a little more than just roasted red peppers, so he threw in some diced eggplant, zucchini and yellow squash.
He also added a minced red chili pepper and red onion and tossed it all in a grilling basket on a low heat on the grill. In about 20 minutes, the results produced this amazing colorful combination of summer vegetables. By itself, this Roasted Summer Squash and Eggplant Medley dish tastes so fresh and delicious, but then Iron Chef Allan drizzled a bit of balsamic vinegar and olive to really bring out the flavor and the sweetness of the roasted vegetables.
This Roasted Summer Squash and Eggplant Medley is the perfect companion to any cook-out. Not to mention, it left me feeling full and satisfied and squashed out my hunger.
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 2 yellow squash, diced
- 1 small red chili pepper, minced
- ½ cup red onion, chopped finely
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 Tbsp reserved for dressing
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- In a large bowl, combine all vegetables with two tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper and toss well. Vegetables should be well coated to prevent stick to grilling basket. Toss vegetables into a grilling basket and roast on grill at a low heat for about 20 minutes. Toss vegetables halfway to roast evenly.
- Remove from heat and return vegetables to large bowl. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil and gently mix through vegetables. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Thanks for joining our weekly Friday Food Fight! Can’t wait to see what everyone is flinging this week!
*Also submitted at*