Like most spouses these days, my husband’s job requires him to travel often and he is becoming quite the jet setter these days. With traveling comes opportunity to taste the most amazing cuisines. Being the foodie type, he has quite a refined palate and thankfully, the foods he has experienced on his travels have satisfied his sophisticated taste buds.
Sadly for me, while holding down the fort back home in Florida, I live vicariously through his boastful texts and drool inducing photos. When he returns home, I marinate in the retelling of his culinary adventures. They always sounds so amazing. *sigh*
Fortunately for me, my husband loves to replicate his culinary adventures, which is what deemed him the title “Iron Chef Allan” in the first place. Although he has no formal culinary training, he has such a knack for recreating the right flavor profile for most dishes. It’s truly a wonder and a skill I hope to develop and refine myself.
His latest copycat creation came from a restaurant in San Jose, California. While dining at the Il Fornaio, Iron Chef Allan fell in love with the Petto di Pollo al Peperoncino, a spicy chicken dish rich with fresh herbs and lemon. Without a recipe and just the description of the dish based the online menu, he replicated the flavor profile like only Iron Chef Allan could.
With a two-step marinate and rub, the chicken dish packs a lot of heat, an intense flavor and produces the juiciest chicken. Before marinating, he butterflied a whole chicken following Rachel Ray’s How-To here. Her method, allows the chicken to lie more evenly on the grill. By removing the spine with this method, it allows the chicken to lie more evenly on the grill. Once butterflied, he place the chicken in an oven bag with all the ingredients for the marinade.
While the bird grilled, he brushed it with some of the reserved marinade.
He then grilled each side for about 30-40 minutes, allowing the internal temperature to reach 165 degrees.
The results are truly the finest of man food east of the Rockies.
- 1 cup white wine
- Juice of one lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp dry mustard
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt ( or 1 Tbsp Kosher salt)
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 whole chicken (about 5 lbs)
- 2 Tbsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- Combine ingredients for marinade in a small mixing bowl. Set aside and allow spices to permeate the olive oil.
- Wash and pat dry chicken; butterfly chicken to remove spine and soft breastbone.
- Add marinade and chicken to an oven bag. Set bag in a 9x11 baking dish and marinade in fridge for at least two hours.
- Set grill to low. Place chicken skin side down on grill. Grill until skin is crispy and render the fat away. Don’t burn!
- While chicken grills, combine ingredients for rub in a small bowl.
- Once chicken becomes crispy, flip over and add the rub using a basting brush. Grill for another 45 minutes or until completely cooked with an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
For Father’s Day and to celebrate the special men in our life, the #SundaySupper team led by this week’s host, Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen, is sharing their favorite man food. The special #SundaySupper Father’s Day edition showcases over 60 RECIPES guaranteed to make your man dig right into them.
Happy Father’s Day from all of us! May you enjoy every morsel and moment!
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Cowboy Beef Nachos by Daily Dish Recipes
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fava Bean Puree on Toast by Sustainable Dad
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beer Pizza Crust by Mess Makes Food
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Burger by Yours and Mine are Ours
- Jerk Chicken Wings by Momma’s Meals
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Go??bki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches w/ Ancho Chile-Coffee BBQ Sauce by La Cocina de Leslie
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Beer Ice Cream by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Roasted Strawberry Pound Cake Stacks by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.