After a long summer break, all three of my children (ages 12, 9, and 4) start school tomorrow. My youngest starts his first day of preschool. *gulp* No more fun in the sun, lazy days of summer. It’s back to the back to school grind.
With two night owls and three picky eaters with three different tastes in food, I dread the back to school morning routine. I can already see my children hiding their faces in the crooks of their arms refusing to wake up and eat breakfast.
That’s why smoothies make the best the breakfasts. Even my most tired, “I’m not hungry” kid will slurp down a smoothie. Plus smoothies made with fresh fruit, veggies and chia seeds are full of Omega-3s, vitamins, fiber and antioxidants to power kids’ brains and bodies for a busy school day.
I first created this monster green smoothie over the summer. With training for a marathon in the heat of the summer, I began to feel rundown and sluggish. I realized resulted from a lack of iron. So, I experimented with green smoothies to help with my energy levels. Rich with superfoods like kale and chia seeds, I called it a “superhero smoothie” to encourage my four year old to try this bright green colored smoothie.
My oldest daughter said, “It’s not a superhero smoothie. It’s a Hulk SMASH smoothie.” From that moment on, the name stuck. Hulk SMASH Smoothie the perfect name for a breakfast smoothie that packs a punch!
A monster green smoothie made with kale, mango, banana and chia seeds serves a breakfast full Omega-3s, vitamins, fiber and antioxidants to power kids’ brains and bodies for a busy school day.
- 2 cups fresh kale or spinach, chopped
- 1 banana
- 1 fresh mango, sliced (or 1 cup frozen)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 2 cups ice
- Toss all the ingredients into blender and blend on a high speed for about 3 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Serve with toast or a side of scrambled eggs for extra protein.
This week’s Back to School #SundaySupper event is being hosted by Tammi of Momma’s Meals with help from host-in-training Gwen of Simply Healthy Family. Thank you to Tammi and Gwenn for leading this outstanding recipe list of Back to School lunches, after school snacks, sweet treats and quick & easy meals for busy school nights.
Back to School Beginnings
- Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Muffins from Killer Bunnies
- Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmealfrom The Red Head Baker
- Make Ahead Waffle Casserole from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Apple Muffins from Meal Diva
- Apple Oat Breakfast Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Toast Three Ways from Foxes Love Lemons
Back to School Lunches and Simple Suppers
- Owl Bento Box from Simply Gourmet
- First Day of School Pinwheels from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Quick and Easy Hot Pastrami Sliders from Webicurean
- Grilled Chicken Revamp from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan from Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken and Zucchinin Meatballs from Casa de Crews
- Clean Eating Lunches Your Kids will Love from Amee’s Savory Dish
- Crispy Chicken Legs from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- DIY Veggie Cup Noodles from Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Nuggets from Nosh my Way
- Skinny Spinach Mac and Cheese from Take a Bite out of Boca
- Chicken Schnitzle from Panning the Globe
- Berry Nutty Bento from Ninja Baking
- Spagetti and Chicken Meatballs from Soni’s Food
- Chopped Shrimp Salad with Honey Lime Vinagraitte from The Weekend Gourmet
- Just for Mom Salad from A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Steak & Cheese Pockets from Momma’s Meals
- Turkey Pinwheels from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Back to School Sips
Back to School Super Snacks
- Nutty Granola from Life Tastes Good
- On the Go Guacamole from Shannon at Country Girl in the Village
- Fruishi – Fruit Sushi from Mama Bee Does
- Cinnamon Caramel Apple Energy Balls from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Playground Granola Bars from Noshing with the Nolands
- Apricot Dip from Magnolia Days
- Parmesan Garlic Oven Roasted Chick Peas from Ruffles and Truffles
- Home Made Graham Crackers from Curious Cuisiniere
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Granola Bars from Pies and Plots
- Gluten Free Apple Zucchini Flax Bread from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Beef and Veggie Sliders from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Popcorn from Simply Healthy Family
Back to School Sweets and Treats
- Open Face PB & J Cookies from Desserts Required
- Berry Topped Chocolate Silk Tart from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Paletas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Love Note Doodle Bugs from Happy Baking Days
- Frozen Yogurt Mud Pies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Brown Butter Peanut Butter Crispy Treats from The Texan New Yorker
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.