Lightened-Up French Onion Soup
A lighter, healthier version of French Onion soup made with Vidalia onions that deliver a sweeter, tangy flavor.
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 3 lb bags RealSweet Sweet Onions, sliced Asian-style lengthwise
- 2 cups water Plus 1 ½ cups for deglazing (1/4 cup increments)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken bone broth 32oz carton
- 2 cups beef broth
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup grated Gruyere cheese (To be split over six bowls)
Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Place sliced onions and butter in a large Dutch pot. Cover and cook for two hours.
Remove pot from oven and place on stovetop on a medium-high heat uncovered. Stir continuously and cook until liquid is mostly evaporated and a dark frond forms, dark not burned.
Add ¼ cup of water; stir and cook until liquid evaporates and a dark frond appears again. Repeat this step six times.
Stir in red wine and deglaze pot for one minute.
Add 2 cups water, beef bone broth and chicken bone broth. Addblack pepper, thyme and bay leaf. Salt to taste.
Bring to a gentle boil. Cover and simmer on a low heat for one hour.
Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with Gryuere cheese and serve.