‘Tis the season for snickerdoodles!
Snickerdoodles are a favorite in this house, but I wanted to add a new twist to an old favorite. A peppermint twist that is!
Originating from a late night wild idea, these Peppermint Snickerdoodles came out better than I dreamed. My family loved them and hopefully, they will be a hit at this year’s Christmas cookie swap too.
On the subject of Christmas cookies swaps, I’m hosting The Ultimate Virtual Christmas Cookie Swap. Be sure to sneak a peek and sample all the tasty treats being shared in the linky party.
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, COLD
1 ½ cups sugar
1 tsp peppermint extract
6 tsp red edible glitter
½ cup (about 24) starlight mints
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with a Silpat or parchment paper.
- Place mints a Ziploc bag and crush with a mallet until powdery. In a small bowl, combine red edible glitter and crushed mints.
- In another bowl, whisk flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt until well blended. Set aside.
- Using a standing electric mixer, beat unsalted COLD butter cut into small cubes and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat until well combined. Add peppermint and mix through.
- Add in the flour mixture in three parts and mix until well combined.
- Shape the dough into 1 ½ inch ball. Roll each ball in the red minty sugar mixture until well coated and arrange about 2-3 inches apart on the cookie sheets.
- Bake one sheet at a time for 12-14 minutes. Leave additional baking sheets chilling in fridge while the other bakes.
- Let stand briefly. Then move cookies to cooling rack until completely cooled. Yields approximately 3 dozen cookies.