Disclaimer: Through a Tampa Bay Bloggers’ partnership, my family and I received race entries to the Susan G. Komen Florida Suncoast Race for the Cure for promotional purposes and my honest review. All opinions are my own.
Remember when the expression “Think Pink” meant more than purchasing pink apparel, appliances and other household items with a pink ribbon on it?
Remember when we supported causes by directly giving to the cause instead of a portion of the proceeds?
Since becoming a runner, I have participated in Race for the Cure every year, except last year when I ran the Chicago Marathon for another charity, The Danny Did Foundation. Sadly, our local Susan G. Komen Florida Suncoast Race for the Cure has seen a gradual decline in registration year after year, which may be related to the economy or perhaps the general public’s lack of knowledge as to how our local Susan G. Komen Florida Suncoast benefits Tampa Bay.
“Up to 75 percent of net proceeds fund local education, screening and treatment and the remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research through Susan G. Komen for the Cure® Grants Program, the largest non-government funder of breast cancer research.”
To encourage more participants which will ultimately lead to more funding for screenings and treatment and add a new light to breast cancer awareness, this year’s Race for the Cure Race for the Cure will return to St. Pete to Albert Whitted Park as a GLOW run!
For the first time ever, Race for the Cure participants will not only think pink and GLOW pink.
While Race for the Cure has upped its game with a GLOW run, there is more than one way to Race for the Cure as in previous years, even a VIRTUAL option for those outside Tampa Bay that want to help raise money and awareness.
The 10K competitive race will wind through the beautiful, waterfront streets of downtown St. Petersburg and Snell Isle. This event is timed and all participants will receive a runner goodie bag, timing chip & Race bib.
The 5K competitive race will follow the same beautiful course as the 10K, just half the distance. This event is timed and all participants will receive a runner goodie bag, timing chip & Race bib.
You don’t have to run to have a good time at the Race! This registration is for those who want to do the non‐competitive 5K Run/Walk, the 1 Mile Fun Run/Walk or be Proud in the Crowd. All participants will receive a Race packet with a Race shirt & Race bib.
Students for the Cure
A special student rate for students in middle school through college. You will need to enter your school name and student ID during registration. All Students for the Cure registrants will receive a race packet with a Race shirt & Race bib. This is a non‐competitive, non‐chip‐timed entry. To participate in one of the competitive categories, you must register in that category. There are no student rates for the competitive Race categories.
Kids for the Cure
No matter the age, we need everyone’s help in the Fight Against Breast Cancer!! Kids for the Cure is available for all kids 10 years of age & under. We will have kids dashes and kids’ activities available on Race Day. Kids for the Cure Race packets will include a Race shirt & Race bib.
Can’t make it to the Race? You can Race in spirit instead! Virtual Race participants will be mailed a commemorative Race shirt.
This year, I’m participating as part of the Tampa Bay Bloggers RAC Pack once again, however, my kids will also be racing along side with me and we’re joining Steph of OrangeSpoken’s team #TeamJudy. Steph lost her mom to breast cancer. Since losing her mom, Steph has become an advocate for preventive treatment, breast cancer awareness and education and healthy living.
So many of us, like Steph, have lost a loved one (a sister, a mom, a wife, a friend, the list goes on) to breast cancer.
The pain and loss is personal as breast cancer affects
one in eight women.
For that reason, Race for the Cure focuses on the personal accounts from every man and woman who has been touched by breast cancer to put a face to the disease.
If you want to share your #itspersonal breast cancer story, submit your story here. Many of the submitted stories are being featured on the Florida Suncoast Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure Facebook Fan Page.
Our Susan Komen Suncoast Affiliate needs you.
The women (and in some cases men) of Tampa Bay need you.
#TeamJudy needs you.
It’s time to give and GLOW for the Cure.
Enter for your chance to win a Race for the Cure entry. Tell me why #itspersonal to you.
Who will you GLOW and Race for the Cure for?
For additional entries, follow the Rafflecoptor prompts.
a Rafflecopter giveaway