Run DMT

I'm a mom on the run!

Run DMT - I'm a mom on the run!

Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce #SundaySupper

8386507597 11017bb3e2 o Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce #SundaySupperWith my Sicilian-Italian-Hispanic heritage, it’s like a culinary clash of the cultures being married to a Scotsman. We try to find common ground when it comes to food, but unfortunately our differences in food isn’t always palatable. I had to educate him on all things tomato and pasta related and to be fair, he had to educate me about how to make things from scratch (one of the many reasons why I call him Iron Chef Allan).

Remember when the Romans tried to invade Scotland? Thousands of years later the Scotsman are still holding back the Romans, at least in my extended family.  When planning family get-togethers, we often experience culinary cultural clashes that would revival the Hatfields and the McCoys. The two heritages have such different customs when it comes to foods and neither family will budge. Holidays meals have become a cultural melting pot and the dinner table as diplomatic as the UN as we try to accommodate everyone’s requests.

Mestanza and Taylor Clan edit Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce #SundaySupper

Putting aside popular dishes such as Haggis and Braciole, our families have more similarities than differences and occasionally a common food ground can be found. Since many Italian and Scottish meals include sausage and other cured meats, thankfully the two families can agree to a food truce over tapas.  Such was the case with my husband’s family Scotch Eggs.

I had never heard of Scotch Eggs before I married Allan and truthfully, they were a hard sell. As my mother-in-law’s signature dish, I faced Scotch Eggs at many family gatherings and for years, I turned my nose up at them just for the sake of being stubborn. With Scotch Eggs the staple at several family celebrations over the years, eventually my own inner Hadrian’s Wall fell and I succumbed to trying them. As to no surprise, I loved Scotch Eggs. Now, I demand anticipate them and even learned to make my own.

Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce #SundaySupper

Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce #SundaySupper

Of course, when I replicated the dish I had to add my own flare to Scotch Eggs by serving them with a Sriracha Dipping Sauce. Much like our little Scottish-Sicilian-Hispanic family, Scotch Eggs are evolving with a little spicy kick.

Scotch Eggs pin 682x1024 Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce #SundaySupper

A week before Easter, this week’s #SundaySupper theme is Stuff, Roll, and Wrap. After coloring dozens of hard-boiled eggs for Easter, Scotch Eggs are the perfect to way to use all the leftover hard-boiled eggs on hand after the holiday. This recipe can be easily made gluten-free by substituting the flour and Panko bread crumbs with coconut flour and rice flour.

Scotch Eggs
5.0 from 5 reviews

Recipe type: Easy
Cuisine: Appetizers, Tapas
Author:
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 6
A traditional Scottish dish with a crunchy bread crumb coating covering a sausage and hard-boiled egg middle and served with a spicy dipping sauce.
Ingredients
  • 6 hard-boiled eggs, shelled
  • ½ lb loose breakfast sausage
  • ½ cup flour
  • 1 ½ cups Panko bread crumbs
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • ½ tsp Kosher salt
  • ½ tsp ground black pepper
Instructions
  1. Heat an electric griddle to 350 degrees; preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Prepare three pie pans for the coating. Add flour, salt and pepper in one pan. Beat one egg another pan for an egg wash. Pour Panko bread crumbs into another pan; set aside.
  3. Divide the sausage meat into six equal portions. Take one handful of sausage meat; wrap and mold sausage meat around one hard-boiled egg.
  4. Roll egg-covered sausage in flour pan and shake off excess flour. Dip in egg wash and then roll in Panko bread crumbs. Set on parchment paper and repeat steps for remaining eggs.
  5. Place all six eggs in electric skillet and cook until golden brown. Turn often to brown evenly and prevent sticking. Remove from Scotch Eggs from skillet and place on baking sheet; finish off in oven for 20 minutes.
  6. Remove eggs from oven and let stand for 10 minutes to cool and set. Serve with Sriracha Dipping Sauce.

Sriracha Dipping Sauce
5.0 from 5 reviews

Recipe type: Easy
Cuisine: Appetizer, Tapas, Condiment
Author:
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 6
A tangy, spicy dipping sauce to compliment many dishes
Ingredients
  • ¼ cup Canola Mayo
  • 1 Tbsp Sriracha Hot Sauce
  • 1 Tbsp lime juice
Instructions
  1. Add mayo and Sriracha to a small bowl. Mix until well combined.

Stuff Roll and Wrap SundaySupper Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce #SundaySupper

For more fun ways to stuff, roll and wrap food in time for Easter, visit all the #SundaySupper selections. Thanks to Amy of kimchi MOM for hosting this week’s #SundaySupper!

Starters and Snacks

Entrees and Mains

All Things Sweet

8386507597 11017bb3e2 o Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce #SundaySupperJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce #SundaySupper

Living life as a mom on the run between races and raising three beautiful, brilliant children (ages 11, 7, 2). Before a blissful life as a SAHM, I taught elementary school for 7 years. In 2007, I discovered a passion for running. I'm currently training for a fourth marathon as well as a variety of other races and triathlons. In my spare time, I am the lead organizer for the Tampa Bay Bloggers on Facebook. I'm currently training for two marathons as well as a variety of other races and triathlons. From start to finish, I'm a mom on the run trying maintain an easy pace through it all.

twitter Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce #SundaySupperfacebook Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce #SundaySupperlinkedin Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce #SundaySupperpinterest Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce #SundaySupperyoutube Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce #SundaySupperyelp Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce #SundaySupper

• Manu says:

Delicious! I just fell in love with Siracha… I found it at the local store only last week! :-)

13 April, 2014 at 10:09 am
  • Lea Ann (Cooking on The Ranch) says:

You had me at Sriracha! I’ve never made Scotch eggs and yours look perfect! Great #SS choice.

13 April, 2014 at 11:43 am
  • Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers says:

What a great recipe!! I love the dipping sauce!!

13 April, 2014 at 12:44 pm
  • Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom) says:

“Years later, I see Scotch Eggs as a symbol of both families: a tough exterior protecting complex layers with a colorful, nourishing middle at its core.”

LOVE IT!
    Scotch eggs have been on my ever-expanding culinary bucket list. These look pretty perfect!

13 April, 2014 at 1:09 pm
  • Family Foodie says:

What a fantastic recipe and I love seeing your pictures!!! Fabulous.

13 April, 2014 at 1:16 pm
  • MealDiva says:

Eggs and Sriracha are meant to go together! I love the flavor combination and your pictures are just beautiful! :)

13 April, 2014 at 1:20 pm
  • Marlene @Nosh My Way says:

I love your story. My hubby is Scotch, but a true American when is comes to cuisine. So I struggle to get him to eat some of the things I make too. I am with you on the Scotch Eggs, but you never really know unless you are open to trying something new.

13 April, 2014 at 1:41 pm
  • Seduction In The Kitchen says:

Yummy! Scotch eggs are soooo good. I love having these on a brunch buffet! I have to try it with your dipping sauce :)

13 April, 2014 at 2:32 pm
  • Tara says:

Great recipe!!! I have never had Scotch eggs and I know I would love them. Perfection with the Sriracha dipping sauce!!

13 April, 2014 at 3:01 pm
  • Christy says:

What an interesting culinary journey you experience with the family! I’ve not had Scotch Eggs before, thanks for sharing!

13 April, 2014 at 3:50 pm
  • Liz says:

What a delicious way to use up leftover Easter eggs! I had my first Scotch egg only a few years back, but loved them after my initial bite :)

13 April, 2014 at 4:00 pm
  • The Wimpy Vegetarian says:

I’ve heard of Scotch eggs, but never have had them. I love how they sound – so I’m sure they’d be a hit at my house. I loved reading about the culture class in your family!!! And loved your wedding photo !!!!

13 April, 2014 at 5:21 pm
  • Melanie | Melanie Makes says:

Love the sriracha dipping sauce!

13 April, 2014 at 6:20 pm
  • Hezzi-D says:

Admittedly I’ve never had a Scotch Egg but I love that you paired it with Sriracha!

13 April, 2014 at 6:53 pm
  • Renee says:

I’ve never had Scotch eggs and can see it is something I want to try very, very soon. I’m a major fan of all the elements so I’m sure I’d enjoy this a lot.

13 April, 2014 at 7:03 pm
  • susan says:

Scotch eggs are a breakfast gift! It’s perfectly portable and who can resist?

13 April, 2014 at 7:40 pm
  • Julie @ Texan New Yorker says:

Maybe your Sriracha dipping sauce could push me to try Scotch eggs, finally. The thing is, I cannot stand hard-boiled eggs, thus my reluctance here. But maybe I should just suck it up, put on my big-girl panties and try those damn eggs, right? :)

14 April, 2014 at 12:06 am
  • Betsy @ Desserts Required says:

OMG. I love how you are blending the cultures of your wonderful family. The analogy you used for Scotch Eggs “a symbol of both families: a tough exterior protecting complex layers with a colorful, nourishing middle at its core” is priceless.

As far as Scotch Eggs, I have heard of them but did not know what they are. Now that I do, I have to admit that I can’t wait to make them. Sadly, I have to wait until AFTER Passover which begins tomorrow night. :-)

14 April, 2014 at 1:19 am
  • Shaina says:

I’ve never heard of a scotch egg before until I watched an episode of Beat Bobby Flay the other night, ha! That sriracha dipping sauce sounds amazing…love the heat!

14 April, 2014 at 3:50 am
  • Renee - Kudos Kitchen says:

I’m scheduled to make Scotch Eggs at the end of this month for another cooking group I’m involved with. I’ve never made them before and am completely intrigued by them. Yours look delicious and I just love the sound of your dipping sauce!

14 April, 2014 at 1:50 pm
  • Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen says:

I have wanted to try Scotch eggs for quite some time. Now I have a recipe to trust and adding Sriracha dipping sauce just pus it over the edge!

14 April, 2014 at 4:58 pm
  • Julie says:

That sriracha dipping sauce looks to-die for!

15 April, 2014 at 12:42 am
  • Laura says:

We love scotch eggs. They are often a treat we get at the butchers for a picnic. I keep meaning to make them myself but haven’t done it yet. Can’t wait to give this a try.

15 April, 2014 at 5:28 pm
  • Sarah says:

Never had a Scotch egg but if they taste as good as yours look I’m all in!

16 April, 2014 at 1:50 am