I love chicken pot pie, but ironically we never ate it growing up. It’s one of those comfort foods I learned to love in my college days, although it was probably a Healthy Choice version that I loved and lived on during my university years.
During my teaching days, I would pack Amy’s Kitchen Vegetable Pocket Sandwich in my lunch. These days, its Sweet Tomatoes Chicken Pot Pie Soup served over a warm buttermilk biscuit that I can’t resist for lunch.
So when I stumbled upon Skinnytaste’s Chicken Pot Pie Soup recipe, I was thrilled to find a low fat way to enjoy my favorite comfort food without all the calories and fat. Unfortunately, I am sad to report this was another Skinnytaste dish that didn’t quite do it for me. But I desperately wanted it to work! Therefore, I decided to revamp Skinnytaste’s recipe with my own touches and flair, but still keeping it a low fat recipe.
I used some of her techniques, like the flour slurry, but I made some basic changes beginning with the vegetables. I sautéed the onions and celery to create a base for the soup. Once the veggies were soft and translucent, I added sliced white mushrooms instead of bella and cooked them until soft.
In another pan, I prepared chunks of chicken breasts by sautéing them in some olive oil, garlic and thyme.
I omitted the bouillons cubes and replaced it with 2 cups of chicken stock. I also omitted the potatoes and replaced it with gnocchi for a thicker, chunkier comfort food soup. And for some extra body, I added a splash of sherry to give the soup a bit more body.
And with that, we have a winner!
|Chicken Pot Pie Soup||
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into 1” chunks
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup cold water
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 pint sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 10 oz frozen classic mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, corn)
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 4 cups fat free milk
- 2 Tbsp sherry
- 1 package gnocchi
- Create a slurry by combining ½ cup cold water with flour in a medium bowl and whisk until well blended. Set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a non-stick skillet. Add garlic and sauté for about a minute. Add chicken breast chunks and salt, pepper and a pinch of thyme. Sauté for about minutes or until no longer pink. Set aside while preparing soup.
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot. Add chopped celery and onions and sauté until soft and translucent. Add mushrooms and sauté until soft.
- Add chicken stock, thyme, pepper, salt and frozen vegetables and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on a low heat until vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Add 2 Tbsp sherry, milk and slowly whisk in slurry, stirring well. Slowly return to boil. Then, add chicken and gnocchi. Cook until gnocchi floats, about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with warm drop biscuits.
Thanks for joining our weekly Friday Food Fight! Can’t wait to see what everyone is flinging this week!
*Also submitted at*