A few weeks ago, the Sunday Supper team celebrated National Grilled Cheese Month by sharing their favorite grilled cheese recipes. The list of recipes was simply mouth-watering and oozing with yummy, gooey cheesiness. Of course, I pinned a few. If you missed it, go skim the recipe roundup here.
I’m a huge fan of cheese but melted cheese takes any dish to another whole delicious level. When it comes to a grilled cheese sandwich, I love the classics and healthy. Whether it’s mozzarella or yellow American cheese sandwiched between two slices of hearty grain bread or cheddar pressed between Cuban bread, the bread should always be crisp and stacked with enough cheese to drip over the edges.
Though the bread that embraces the cheese or even the cheese may change, my grilled cheese sandwich is always served with warm bowl of Tomato Soup.
Melted cheese and a warm bowl of creamy tomato soup is more than a pairing; it’s a partnership like bread and butter. Something about the combination of the two says comfort and love like a mother’s hug.
Once you realize how easy it is to make this soup, you will never buy canned tomato soup again. In less than 30 minutes, you can have a healthy bowl of tomato soup rich with lycopene and Vitamin C. With only three ingredients (two if you count two 28 oz canned tomatoes as one) and only three steps to make it, you will love the simplicity and the rich, bright, full flavor. Plus you will wow everyone who tastes it.
In a nutshell, you sauté’ chopped onions in olive oil until soft, add chopped tomatoes and then puree the soup. That’s it. Although you can use fresh ripe tomatoes, canned chopped tomatoes works just as well and saves you a bit of time.
While the soup simmers, prepare a grilled cheese sandwich to accompany it. Everyone needs a buddy and tomato soup and a grilled cheese are the perfect friendship.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 – 28 oz cans diced or chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Heat olive on a medium-low heat; add onions and sauté’ until soft and translucent. Do not brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Using a handheld blender, puree tomatoes and until creamy and smooth. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
For more Five Ingredients or Less #Sunday Supper recipes, visit all the #SundaySupper selections listed here. Thanks to Alice of Hip Foodie Mom for hosting this week’s #SundaySupper!
Appetizers, Salads and Starters
- Chicken and Spring Greens Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Tuna, Burrata and Black Olive Salad from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Salmon and Cucumber “Noodle” Salad from girlichef
- Yogurt Dill Vegetable Dip from Melanie Makes
- Tomato, Avocado, and Cucumber Summer Salad from My Healthy Eating Habits
- Fennel Citrus Salad from An Appealing Plan
- Kale-Had-a-Hard-Day Salad from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Guacamole Deviled Eggs from Ruffles and Truffles
- Tomato Soup from Run DMT
- Wasabi Cream Cheese Ham Salad from Neighborfood
- Latkes with Smoked Salmon and Caviar from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
Side and Accompaniments
- Candied Apple Jelly from What Smells So Good?
- Chipotle Scalloped Potatoes with Chorizo from La Cocina de Leslie
- Grilled Steak with Garlic Cumin Rub from Cooking Chat
- Homemade Ricotta from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Fruited Jasmine Rice from It’s Yummi
- Indian-style Roasted Cauliflower from Kimchi Mom
- 3-Ingredient Beer Bread from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Italian Cheese Panini from La Bella Vita
- Drunken Chicken and Potatoes from Webicurean
- Slow Cooker Turkey Breast from Nosh My Way
- Easy Crock Pot Pulled Chicken from Flour On My Face
- Lemon Basil Carbonara from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Garlic Butter Shrimp from Savvy Eats
- Easy Beef Stroganoff from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Smothered Pork Chop Cups from Having Fun Saving
- Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas from Supper for a Steal
- Chicken with Olives from Noshing With The Nolands
- Salmon with Tiger Dill Sauce from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Greek Chicken Burgers from Country Girl In The Village
- Potato Pancakes (Reibekuchen) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Crock Pot Beer Chicken from Our Table for Seven
- Chorizo and Potato Frittata from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Lemon Chicken and Potatoes from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Chicken Asparagus Roll-ups from Dinner Mom
- Spaghetti Squash with Simple Red Sauce from Momma’s Meals
- Tropical Salsa Chicken from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Strawberry Red Wine Glazed Salmon from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Baked Asparagus and Eggs from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Grilled Caprese Salad Sandwich from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Beef Short Rib Bourguignon from Food Lust People Love
- Beans and Egg Sandwich from Basic N Delicious
- Honey Almond Salmon from Family Foodie
Dessert and Beverages
- Flourless Chocolate Cake from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- 4-Ingredient Butterscotch Peanut Butter Marshmallow Sweets from Shockingly Delicious
- Vanilla Bean Honey Ice Cream from The Foodie Army Wife
- Coconut Crusted Chocolate Ganache Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- 3-Ingredient Nutella Truffles from URBAN BAKES
- Chocolate & Peanut Butter Squares from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Nutella Ferrero Cupcakes from Brunch with Joy
- 5-Minute Strawberry Sherbet from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Easy Coconut Macaroons from Hip Foodie Mom
- Chocolate Orange Ice Cream from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Orchid Panna Cotta from Manu’s Menu
- Oreo Cookies and Cream Fudge from Alida’s Kitchen
- Golden Oreo Rice Krispies Treats from Pies and Plots
- Vanilla Pudding from Magnolia Days
- Country Peach Cobbler from Meal Diva
- Sopapilla Cheesecake Bites from The Weekend Gourmet
- Coconut Cream Mango Mousse from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Peanut Butter Buckeyes from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Raspberry-Mango Batido from Foxes Love Lemons
- 4 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cherry Chip Cookies from Ninja Baking
- Raspberry Pina Colada Ice Cream from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Avocado Milkshakes from The Texan New Yorker
- The Ginger Sass Cocktail from Nik Snacks
- Baked Custard Cups from Soni’s Food
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.