Disclosure: This #SundaySupper post is sponsored by American Family Insurance. All opinions are my own.
Growing up, my family rarely ever ate sweets. Candy, chocolate or cake were for special occasions such as birthdays and holidays. Every day after dinner desserts during my childhood consisted of nature’s candy of fresh cut watermelon or some type of fruit salad.
As for my Scottish husband, the desserts in his home were the typical sweets you may think of such as chocolates and cakes prepared from scratch by his mum. Twenty years together, my husband has ruined me for sweets and spoiled my children. After dinner, our kids expect (Dare I say even demand.) dessert as a reward for finishing their supper.
Yes, sadly I have succumbed to bribing my children with dessert for cleaning their plates. However, if I have to bribe reward my children with pudding (British for dessert), then at least I’ll attempt to make it a healthy dessert such as my Blueberry Quinoa Cobbler.
Truthfully, any cobbler makes the perfect summertime dessert. Fortunately in Florida, we can find blueberries in the supermarket almost year round and reasonably priced, too. So, why wait for the summer to indulge in this healthy cobbler?
The beauty of this gluten-free cobbler is that it is rich in fiber, antioxidants, healing properties and protein which are so essential for active and fit families. Serve it a small scoop of frozen yogurt for calcium and an extra helping of protein, too.
Healthy, gluten free cobbler full of fiber, protein and antioxidants made with fresh blueberries, maple syrup and quinoa.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3 pints fresh blueberries, rinsed
- Juice of one lemon
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp butter (or 2 Tbsp coconut oil for dairy free)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x11 baking dish.
- Rinse well and prepare 1 cup of quinoa according to directions on package. Once quinoa has expanded to two cups, remove from heat and allow quinoa to cool. Stir in cinnamon, butter, salt and brown sugar.
- In a large bowl, combine blueberries, maple syrup and juice of one lemon. Pour into baking dish.
- Spoon quinoa onto blueberries and spread gently to form a crust over the blueberries.
- Bake in oven for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown. Place on cooling rack and allow cobbler to set before serving.
- Serve with low fat frozen vanilla yogurt or organic vanilla ice cream.
I am so honored to serve as this week’s #SundaySupper host sponsored by American Family Insurance and on my birthday too! Much like my Blueberry Quinoa Cobbler, it’s such a treat to lead this incredible list of healthy recipes and encourage parents to choose dreams of fit, active lives with their children.
Recipes for a Family Healthy Fit Lifestyle #SundaySupper #ChooseDreams
Get Up and Go Power Breakfasts
- Get Up and Go Mocha Breakfast Smoothie by The Foodie Army Wife
- Avocado Tomato and Feta Toast with Poached Eggs by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Peanut Butter Banana Oat Smoothie by The Messy Baker
Salads and Healthy Snacks
- Cherry Kale Panzanella by Jelly Toast
- Watermelon Salad with Blueberry Balsamic Dressing by Runner’s Tales
- Southwestern Chicken Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pantry Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Energy Bars by Magnolia Days
Healthy Fit Lifestyle Dinners
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Summer Salsa by Foxes Love Lemons
- Blueberry Pork Chops by MealDiva
- Individual Grilled Veggie Pizzas by Curious Cuisiniere
- Almond Cashew Chicken by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Quinoa Bowls with Grilled Vegetables and Corn Salsa by Ruffles & Truffles
- Chicken and Mushroom Stuffed Peppers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sesame Chicken and Vegetable Pasta by Momma’s Meals
- Spiced Yogurt Chicken Kabobs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Chicken Spinach Quinoa and Brown Rice by Family Foodie
- Healthy Coconut Banana Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie Popsicles by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Blueberry Quinoa Cobbler by Run DMT
For more great healthy #ChoseDreams recipes, follow AmFam’s Health and Fitness Board on Pinterest. You can learn more about American Family Insurance by visiting them on LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
And lucky me having a bag of quinoa in my pantry. Now to get some blueberries and I’m all set to make this tasty and healthy dessert.
Quinoa in a cobbler — sounds fantastic! I can’t wait to try our your healthy dessert!
New Jersey blueberries ARE in season now, so I have to make this!
Quinoa in a cobbler – this is genius!
WOW! What a magnificent cobbler! I love the quinoa topping…what a terrific idea, Denise!
What a creative cobbler topping. Genius!
This is such a fabulous idea! I love quinoa for breakfast! Can’t wait to try it! Thanks for hosting such an amazing event!
What a fun idea to use quinoa for the cobbler topping! I love it!
What a creative recipe using quinoa! It looks absolutely delicious…can’t wait to try it!
What a great way to bribe….errrr…reward your children! I doubt they can even tell it’s sneakily healthy. Love it!
What a fantastic sounding dessert; love this recipe will have to make this for my family and will be substituting the butter with Earth Balance. Thank you so much for hosting!
I love the idea of using quinoa for dessert. This looks simple but delicious.
Thank you for hosting this week! Your quinoa looks incredible! I would love it for breakfast or dessert! It’s perfect!!
Comments are closed.
Get every new post delivered to your Inbox
Join other followers