Disclosure: This #SundaySupper post is sponsored by American Family Insurance. All opinions are my own.
In our house, we grill a lot, especially in the summer. With grilling almost every night, there are usually plenty of leftovers. Whenever there’s leftover chicken, I love to chop it up and throw together a chicken salad with whatever ingredients I have in the fridge.
However, when you’re trying to eat healthy, traditional chicken salad loaded with mayonnaise isn’t the healthiest choice. Instead of using mayo, I found that a smashed avocado mixed with non-fat Greek yogurt makes a really nice healthy substitute. By adding Greek yogurt instead of mayo, this dish becomes even richer with protein as well as a great source of calcium and probiotcs for digestive health.
In the past, avocados have had a bad reputation for being high in fat content. Today, we now know this rich green superfood offers the right kind of fat to help lower cholesterol. Avocados are also high in dietary fiber, protein and an excellent source of potassium, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C and Vitamin E.
When preparing this Healthy Chicken Salad, I add celery and onion much like traditional chicken salad, however, to hide the somewhat sourness of plain Greek yogurt, I add some curry powder and a bit of cayenne pepper. As much as I love plain Greek yogurt, I had to mask the yogurt flavor when making this dish for my family in order for them to eat it. If it tasted to “yogurty”, they wouldn’t eat it.
When I served this dish to family for the first time, my husband loved it and didn’t offer any suggestions to change it, which is a HUGE deal in the Iron Chef Allan test kitchen.
Since my husband and I are trying to cut back on bad carbs, I like to serve Healthy Chicken Salad on leafy greens such as Bibb lettuce to offer a carb-free alternative wrap. It’s the perfect healthy, quick summertime fix for #SundaySupper.
- ¾ cup cooked chicken breast
- ½ ripe Haas avocado
- ¼ cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1Tbsp celery, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 8-10 Bibb lettuce leaves
- In a small bowl, mash one half ripe avocado. Add yogurt, chicken, onion, celery, curry powder, cayenne powder, salt and pepper; combine well.
- Scoop a small amount of chicken salad (about ¼ cup) on top of one Bibb lettuce leaf. Repeat with remaining chicken salad and serve.
- Leftover chicken salad can be stored an airtight container for about two days.
This week’s #SundaySupper is a collaborative effort by the #SundaySupper Movement and American Family Insurance. Led by this week’s host, Katie of Ruffles and Truffles, we are encouraging all families to take steps to #ChooseDreams and turn your favorite family recipes into healthy ones. For more great healthy #ChoseDreams recipes, follow AmFam on Pinterest.
You can learn more about American Family Insurance by visiting them on LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+, Twitter, and Facebook.
- Angel Hair & Zucchini Noodles with Fresh Tomato Sauce by Ruffles & Truffles
- Baked Vegetable Egg Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
- Beef Stroganoff by Country Girl in the Village
- Buffalo Cauli-Tots by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Corn and Crab Chowder by The Dinner-Mom
- Crab Cake Salad by Family Foodie
- Grilled Portabella Mushrooms On Red Pepper Slaw with Cucumber Dressing by Seduction In The Kitchen
- Healthy Chicken Salad by Run DMT
- Lighter Beef Tacos by Alida’s Kitchen
- Meatballs with Vegetable Noodles and Fresh Tomato Sauce by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Roasted Cauliflower Mac & Cheese by The Messy Baker
- Spaghetti Squash with Mushrooms and Spinach by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Tex Mex Enchilada Skillet Lasagna by Neighborfood
- Zucchini Meat Lasagna by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chewy Coconut Granola Bars by Savvy Eats
- Enlightened Southern Banana Puddings by The Weekend Gourmet
- Mom’s Fruit Salad by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Vanilla Canapés by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Superfood Pancakes by girlichef
- Zucchini Carrot Snack Cake by The Foodie Army Wife
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Genius! I think this would go over well in my house full of guacamole lovers!
I’ve been on a big avocado kick lately. And my husband loves chicken salad. This is something I’ll be making for our lunch very soon.
Well, avocado and I are the best of friends, so I am totally on board with this version of chicken salad!!! It’s hard for me to believe that there was a time in my life that I refused to eat avocados. I mean…what was I thinking? 😉
All I can say is YUM!!!! I’ve been on such an avocado kick lately, and this is only feeding the frenzy! In such a good way, LOL
Love this healthy version, I use non fat green yogurt and avocado in a lot of dishes! Thanks for sharing Denise!
I forwarded this to my mom, every week, she has a chicken salad! This is something she would love!
Love this! I love the way to utilize leftovers and I love the alternatives to mayo. Plus, I could live on avocados. lol Yum!!
Love the idea of adding avocado to chicken salad…I adore avocados in Summer! I need to make this very soon!!!
Match made in heaven — chicken salad and avocado – Yes Please!!
Yum! I love the way avocado adds that creamy richness but with all the vitamins and nutrition too!
This is the perfect healthy chicken salad. Yum!
I do love avocados and chicken. I’m sure together this is an awesome salad!
Wow Denise! This is such a great recipe! I could see make a big batch of this and having it for lunch! I love it!
I always make chicken salad with Greek yogurt when I have leftover chicken. I love your avocado addition!
I love that you mixed mashed avocado right in. This is genius. I can’t wait to give it a go. Pinned.
Fantastic idea! I love avocado in/on pretty much anything anyway, so this would be the perfect lightened up meal in our house.
I absolutely despise mayo and everything about it. This is a fantastic substitution!
I always pass on chicken salad because I’m not a fan of mayo, but your lovely healthy version with avocado and Greek yogurt is right up my alley. This looks wonderful!
Yum! We baked 4 turkey breasts today. I’ll make it this week with turkey!
I typically use yogurt in our chicken salads here. But I love the idea of adding avocado to pump up the creaminess!
I’ve been going through so many avocados lately! This looks like another awesome way to use them!
I love the idea behind this chicken salad!! In fact, I just made a light pasta salad and threw it in a piece of lettuce the other day!!! love this and the whole campaign!
This is the BEST way to make chicken salad. I love avocados in it.
Comments are closed.
Get every new post delivered to your Inbox
Join other followers